Sunday, October 10, 2010

20th Sunday after Pentecost

Grant, we beseech Thee, O Lord, unto Thy faithful both pardon and peace, that they may both be cleansed from all offenses and serve Thee with a quiet mind.
           Collect from the 20th Sunday after Pentecost

This prayer for pardon which Holy Mother Church gives to us today in her liturgy, coupled with the Epistle, which speaks of "redeeming the time" and "speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns, and spiritual canticles, singing and making melody to the Lord," makes me think that I ought to make a particular point this week to say Compline.  "Redeeming the time" and "psalms and hymns and spiritual canticles" make me think of the Divine Office.  Prayers for pardon make me think of Compline, with its examination of conscience.  Furthermore, the rhythm of psalms throughout the day always helps to quiet my mind.  We'll see how I do; my resolutins often fall flat, but Compline is where I plan to focus my attention.

Our Lady of Prompt Succor, hasten to help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment